June is National Safety Month. As your dedicated Kansas City Personal Injury Attorneys, Kendall Law Group LLC is committed to helping residents of Missouri and Kansas stay safe. If you are a business owner, it is important to understand and reduce premises liability risks. Your attention to safety not only benefits your customers and employees but also contributes to the long-term success of your business.
Understanding Premises Liability in Missouri and Kansas
Missouri and Kansas premises liability laws demand that businesses maintain safe conditions on their property. This includes adequately maintaining your premises, promptly addressing potential hazards and ensuring that all safety measures are in place and followed.
If someone suffers an injury due to a dangerous condition on your property, such as a slip and fall, inadequate security or malfunctioning equipment, you as a business owner could face legal ramifications.
Legal Consequences for Negligent Business Owners
If you are a Kansas City business owner, the legal consequences of a serious injury or fatality caused by your negligence can be severe. A premises liability lawsuit can lead to significant financial judgments, including but not limited to compensation for the victim’s medical bills, lost wages or reduced earning capacity and pain and suffering. Safety hazards and lawsuits can negatively impact your business’s reputation and profitability.
The Importance of Business Liability Insurance in Missouri and Kansas
Although business liability insurance is not legally mandated in Missouri or Kansas, protecting your business against exposure to financial hardship if a patron is injured on your property is essential. This insurance can mitigate the financial fallout of a lawsuit, covering legal fees and potential settlements or judgments, and avoiding exposure to your personal and business assets. As a business owner, it is important to regularly review your policy to ensure it offers sufficient coverage for your type of business and its associated risk.
For more information on the importance of business liability insurance, visit Importance of Liability Insurance.
Tips to Keep Your Business Safe
To safeguard your business from the threat of potential premises liability lawsuits, consider taking the following preventative steps:
- Regular Inspections: To identify and address potential hazards, such as broken stairs, burnt-out lights, or leaks that could result in a fall.
- Prompt Repairs: if a potential hazard is identified during your inspection, repair it promptly.
- Use Adequate Signage: If a hazard is identified that cannot be immediately resolved, display clear warning signs.
- Employee Training: Ensure your staff is properly trained to handle emergencies, recognize and report potential safety hazards, and safely interact with customers.
- Safety Regulation Compliance: Comply with all relevant local, state and federal safety regulations and building codes. Regularly review these regulations to stay abreast of any changes.
Injured Due to Business Owner Negligence?
If you or your loved one has suffered a serious injury or died due to the negligence of a Kansas City business owner, Kendall Law Group is here to help you put your life back together. For more information on premises liability, visit our premises liability practice page. For a free consultation, contact us today at (816) 531-3100.
As we observe National Safety Month, let’s commit to making safety a top priority in our businesses.