Summer has come to Kansas City! As the chill of winter recedes and schools close for the break, it’s time to plan that long-awaited family vacation. At Kendall Law Group LLC, we believe in enjoying life to the fullest, but never at the cost of your family’s safety. As the leading Auto Accident Attorneys in Kansas City, we present our top tips for a safe and memorable summer trip.
Start With a Safe Foundation: Plan and Prepare
Travel safety starts at home with diligent planning and thorough preparation. Before you set off, conduct a complete check-up of your vehicle. Tires, oil, brakes – ensure they’re all in top condition. Also, remember to pack a spare tire and the necessary tools to fix a flat tire, if required.
If you choose to fly, anticipate potential delays or cancellations. Get to the airport well before your flight time. Always have important documentation and medications at your fingertips and ensure you have enough funds to tackle any unexpected issues.
Road Safety Rules
- Map Your Route – Determine your journey’s details ahead of time, including rest stops, fuel, and meals to steer clear of last-minute confusion and stress.
- Stay Alert – Fatigue can lead to disastrous accidents. Share the responsibility of driving on long journeys or scheduling overnight stops.
- Keep Energized – Maintain your alertness and energy with water and healthy snacks in your car.
- Follow the Rules – Always wear your seatbelt, stick to speed limits and observe traffic rules.
- Abstain from Alcohol – Never mix drinking and driving. It’s a risk you don’t want to take.
- Pay Attention – Avoid getting distracted by your phone while driving. Let your co-pilot help with navigation, and only make necessary calls using hands-free devices. Never text while driving!
- Protect Your Kids and Pets – Never leave them alone in a car during hot weather. A quick escalation to heat stroke can turn fatal.
Destination Safety Guidelines
- Know Before You Go – Research your destination thoroughly before planning your trip. Familiarize yourself with local laws, customs, and travel advisories.
- Get Travel Insurance – It’s an important safety net for cancellations, medical emergencies, or unexpected issues.
- Prioritize Health – Consult with your doctor for necessary vaccinations or medications, depending on your destination.
- Secure Your Valuables – Take care of your belongings, whether in your hotel or out sightseeing.
- Stay Vigilant – Keep an eye on your surroundings, especially in crowded tourist spots.
- Choose Reliable Transport – Always use trusted transportation services in a new city.
- Keep in Touch – Keep your phone charged and consider a local SIM card. Share your itinerary with a friend or family member.
- Hydrate and Use SPF – Carry water and apply sunscreen to fend off the summer heat.
- Food Safety First – Be cautious when trying local cuisine and check the hygiene ratings of restaurants.
- Know Who to Call – Keep local emergency service numbers within easy reach.
When traveling with children, here are some additional safety tips:
- Childproof Your Stay – Check your accommodation for potential hazards on arrival.
- ID Your Kids – Ensure your children have some form of identification at all times.
- Watch Your Kids in Crowds – Keep your children close in crowded public places.
- Guard Against the Heat – Protect your children from heatstroke and sunburn.
- Monitor Water Activities – Never leave your children unsupervised near water bodies.
- Have First Aid Ready – Carry a basic first aid kit and any necessary medications.
- Prepare Your Kids – Discuss the trip rules with your children and what they should do in an emergency.
Kansas City Auto Accident Injury Attorneys
Remember, if you face any legal issues or accidents during your travels, Kendall Law Group LLC is just a call away. Reach out to us anytime for the assistance you need. (816) 531-3100
Download our free pamphlet What to Do After An Auto Accident. Keep it in your glovebox to be prepared in the event of an accident or emergency.