The Impact of Delayed & Gapped Treatment in Missouri & Kansas Car Accident Injury Claims
As skilled Kansas City Car Accident Injury Lawyers with over 30 years of experience, we at Kendall Law Group cannot stress enough the importance of consistent and timely medical treatment following an auto accident. Delayed treatment and gaps in treatment are not just medical issues; they are pivotal factors that can significantly influence the outcome of auto accident injury claims in Kansas and Missouri. These challenges can impact both the legal process and the well-being of the injured party.
Understanding Delayed Treatment
Delayed treatment refers to the time gap between the occurrence of an auto collision and when the injury victim first seeks medical attention. There are various reasons for delayed treatment, including:
- Lack of Immediate Symptoms: Some injuries, like whiplash or internal trauma, may not show symptoms immediately. Victims often mistakenly believe they are unharmed, only to discover injuries later.
- Financial Concerns: The fear of high medical bills can deter accident victims from seeking prompt medical care, especially if they lack adequate health insurance.
- Underestimation of Injuries: Victims might underestimate the severity of their injuries and opt for self-care instead of professional medical treatment.
The Implications of Gaps in Treatment
Gaps in treatment refer to interruptions or discontinuation in a car wreck injury victim’s medical care after an accident. These gaps can often occur due to:
- Non-Adherence to Medical Advice: Sometimes victims fail to follow through with prescribed treatments, attend follow-up appointments, or complete physical therapy sessions.
- Personal Circumstances: Work schedules, family responsibilities, or transportation issues can lead to missed appointments and treatment gaps.
The Impact on Bodily Injury Claims
In both Kansas and Missouri, delayed medical treatment and gaps in treatment can significantly affect personal injury claims. Here’s how:
- Questioning the Severity of Injuries: Insurance companies often argue that significant delays or gaps in treatment indicate that the injuries were not serious.
- Causation Issues: Insurers may claim that the injuries were not caused by the accident but by other unrelated events or pre-existing conditions.
- Reduced Compensation: These arguments can lead to reduced settlement offers or denial of claims.
Best Practices for Medical Treatment After an Auto Accident
To mitigate the negative impact of delayed treatment and treatment gaps, consider the following steps:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Always consult a healthcare professional after an accident, even if you feel fine. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Follow Medical Advice: Adhere to the treatment plan prescribed by your healthcare provider, including medication, physical therapy, and follow-up visits.
- Document Everything: Keep detailed records of all medical appointments, treatments, and recommendations. This documentation is crucial for your claim.
- Communicate with Your Attorney: Keep your lawyer informed about your treatment and any challenges you face in adhering to it.
Car Accident Injury Attorneys
If you or your loved one has been seriously injured or tragically killed in an auto collision, you need skilled legal representation. Navigating personal injury claims can be complex, especially when you have suffered catastrophic injuries. As Kansas City auto accident injury lawyers, we understand the unique challenges of accident injury claims in Kansas and Missouri. Our team is committed to advocating for your rights and ensuring you receive fair compensation.
Delayed treatment and gaps in treatment are not just medical concerns; they are legal challenges that can dramatically affect the outcome of your injury claim. Understanding these issues and taking proactive steps can strengthen your case and protect your rights.
If you’ve been in an auto accident in Kansas or Missouri and are facing challenges with your injury claim, don’t navigate this complex process alone. Contact Kendall Law Group LLC at (816) 531-3100 for a consultation free of charge. Remember, your health and well-being are our priority. Let us handle the legal aspects while you focus on recovery.